REGULATING AGENCY: South Carolina Board of Financial Institutions; Office of the Commissioner of Banking
- Kathy Bickham, Commissioner
- Website: bofi.sc.gov
LEAGUE: Carolinas Credit Union League
PRIVATE SHARE INSURANCE: No
STATS: (As of Q4 2021)
Total Number of Credit Unions: 53
- TOTAL # SCUs: 9
- TOTAL # FCUs: 44
- SCU % OF TOTAL (SCUS #/STATE TOTAL #): 17%
Total Assets: $20,796,031,247
- TOTAL $ SCU ASSETS: $837,953,065
- TOTAL $ FCU ASSETS: $19,958,078,182
- SCU % OF TOTAL ASSETS (SCUS $/STATE TOTAL $): 4%
Total Members: 1,661,302
- TOTAL Members SCUs: 85,003
- TOTAL Members FCUs: 1,576,299
- SCU % OF TOTAL (SCUS/STATE TOAL): 5%
FUN FACT: Campbell’s Covered Bridge, built-in 1909, is the only covered bridge that remains in the state. And The first tea farm in the United States was started in 1890 near Summerville, South Carolina.
November 17, 2021 — DepositAccounts.com, a subsidiary of Lending Tree, released its 2021 list of the Top 200 Healthiest Credit Unions in America, which includes five credit unions in the Carolinas:
- MTC Federal Credit Union | Greenville, SC
- AllSouth Federal Credit Union | Columbia, SC
- Summit Credit Union | Greensboro, NC
- Greenville Heritage Federal Credit Union | Greenville, SC
- State Credit Union | Columbia, SC
North Carolina and South Carolina were also listed respectively as the 18th and 17th healthiest states for banking in the U.S. per Texas Ratio figures. Click here to view the interactive list of the raw Texas Ratio figures for the healthiest credit unions in each state.
DepositAccounts.com evaluates the financial health of federally-insured credit unions in the U.S. once per quarter and has been tracking healthy institutions since 2010. To determine ranking and recognition, DepositAccounts.com grades each institution on a number of factors, including capitalization, deposit growth, and loan-to-reserve ratios.
These rankings are intended to give consumers a way to evaluate their institution’s financial health and to help them make informed decisions when selecting a financial institution.
For a complete listing of the 2021 Top 200 Healthiest Credit Unions in America, visit depositaccounts.com/banks/health.aspx.
Click here to take a look at the stories that have been collected over the years in South Carolina.
What’s new in your state?
Click here to submit your state-chartered credit union news stories to NASCUS today!