Congratulations to the 2020-2021 Pierre Jay Award Winners!
Patty Idol, Former President & CEO of Mountain Credit Union in Waynesville, NC
Kim Santos, Director at the Wisconsin Department of Financial Institutions in Madison, WI
Sarah Vega, Former Chief of Staff to Mark McWatters and Sr. Policy Advisor at NCUA in Alexandria, VA
Created by NASCUS to recognize individuals, programs, or organizations whose contributions have benefited the state credit union system in a significant way, the Pierre Jay Award honors those who have demonstrated outstanding service, leadership, and commitment to NASCUS and the state system. This is NASCUS’ highest honor in recognition of champions of the state credit union system.
About the Award
First presented in 1997, the Pierre Jay Award honors the first Commissioner of Banks in Massachusetts, Pierre Jay. He learned of the cooperative credit union movement in Milan, Italy and quickly embraced the concept. Working with philanthropist and credit union pioneer Edward Filene of Boston, and despite objections from the banking industry, Jay went on to champion credit union development in the United States. Through Jay’s perseverance and service, he profoundly shaped credit union history.
Every year, NASCUS members have the opportunity to nominate an individual or organization/committee that shows outstanding commitment and dedication to the state credit union system. Nominations are reviewed by NASCUS’ Pierre Jay Award Committee, and a winner is selected based on judging criteria outlined below.
For more information, please contact Alicia Valencia Erb, Vice President, Member Relations.
2020-2021 Pierre Jay Award Selection Committee
The selection committee was overhauled in 2019 to reflect a balance of state regulators and the credit union industry.
Rose Conner, Chairman, Regulator Board (North Carolina Administrator for Office of Credit Unions)
Mike Williams, Chairman, CU Advisory Board (President & CEO Colorado Credit Union)
Robert Cashman, President & CEO, Metro Credit Union
William Mellin, President & CEO, New York Credit Union Association
Mary Hughes, 2019 PJA Winner, Ret. Acting Director, Idaho Department of Finance
Lucy Ito, President & CEO, NASCUS (ex officio)
Pierre Jay Award Nominations – NOW CLOSED
Check back again soon for the next round of nomination submissions..
Eligibility, Criteria, and Nomination Process:
Any person, program, or organization who or that has made a significant contribution to the state credit union system.
- Accepting nominations from either the regulator or credit union industry segments:
- Any individual, group or program, credit union industry committee, volunteer, staff member, chief staff executives, etc. or
- Federal/state lawmakers, federal/state regulators/examiners.
- Proven contributions that have benefited the state credit union system significantly in the past year;
- Proven demonstration of service, leadership and commitment to the state system and/or NASCUS; and
- Proven service, commitment, and leadership to the state system.
- Nominations may be made only by NASCUS members.
- Each nomination will be considered by the award’s selection committee.
- A winner will be honored at a NASCUS live event (virtual or in-person).