REGULATING AGENCY: Florida Office of Financial Regulation; Bureau of Credit Unions
- Russell Weigel, Commissioner
- Jeremy Smith Director, Division of Financial Institutions
- Website: flofr.gov/sitePages/DivisionOfFinancialInstitutions.htm
LEAGUE: League of Southeastern Credit Unions & Affiliates, Florida Credit Union Association (FCUA)
- Patrick La Pine, Chief Executive Officer
- Jared Ross, President
- Website: lscu.coop
STATS: (As of Dec 2020)
- TOTAL # SCUs: 61
- TOTAL # FCUs: 67
- SCU % OF TOTAL (SCUS #/STATE TOTAL #): 52% of 128 FL CUs
- TOTAL $ SCU ASSETS: $63,432,864,876
- TOTAL $ FCU ASSETS: $23,156,893,858
- TOTAL ASSETS: $86,589,758,734
- SCU % OF TOTAL ASSETS (SCUS $/STATE TOTAL $): 73%
FUN FACT: The United States city with the highest rate of lightning strikes per capita is Clearwater.
Tropical Financial Credit Union Awards $10,000 in Scholarships to Local
Author: Lizeth George; Southeastern CU News
MIRAMAR, Fla. – (June 7, 2021) – As colleges prepare for what they hope will be a somewhat normal fall semester, three students will have a little less to stress about thanks to scholarships from Tropical Financial Credit Union. This year, Tropical Financial awarded three scholarships totaling $10,000. One grand prize of $5,000 and two $2,500 scholarships to students.
This is the eighth year for the program created to help local students further their education. The scholarship winners are:
- Amanda Koplman is the recipient of TFCU’s $5,000 scholarship. This will help her pay the expenses needed after her impressive grades got her a full ride to Boston University where she plans to study Biomedical Engineering. Amanda graduated from NSU University School and is also a highly decorated Girl Scout.
- Ethan Rogge is one of the two $2,500 scholarship winners. He will be heading to the University of Central Florida to study Business Administration. A graduate of Cypress Bay High school, Ethan has completed a whipping 177 community service hours and has received multiple awards through DECA.
- Luz Gonzalez is TFCU’s second $2,500 scholarship winner. When her husband passed away, Luz decided to go back to school for herself. She will be attending Florida Atlantic University and is an active member of Broward Up.
Click here to take a look at the stories that have been collected over the years in Florida.
What’s new in your state?
Click here to submit your state-chartered credit union news stories to NASCUS today!