NASCUS President and CEO Lucy Ito Announces Retirement
May 3, 2021 – ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA – The National Association of State Credit Union Supervisors (NASCUS) President and CEO Lucy Ito is announcing her plan to retire at the end of 2021. Ms. Ito has served in her current role since 2014, where she oversaw numerous accomplishments for NASCUS.
As President and CEO of NASCUS, Ms. Ito advocates on behalf of state agencies that supervise 2,020 state-chartered credit unions and represent $934 billion in assets—just over one-half of all U.S. credit union assets, as of December 31, 2020.
During her tenure, Ito played a critical role in:
- Advocating for policies that foster balance and equity between state and federal credit unions such as the National Credit Union Administration’s (NCUA) Overhead Transfer Rate methodology.
- Tirelessly working to create an environment for state regulators and credit unions to work together to reach common sense solutions.
- Establishing a network of engagement and collaboration for state regulators through committees and events, such as the National Meeting for State Regulators, launched in 2016 and held each spring.
- Constructing idea-sharing platforms such as The Exchange—a dialogue for state regulators and $10B+ asset-based state and federal credit unions to anticipate future challenges facing the credit union system.
- Working with the NCUA as a partner, re-committing to the Document of Cooperation between NASCUS on behalf of state regulators and NCUA in 2019 for the first time in more than a decade.
- Increasing donations to NASCUS’ education foundation, the National Institute for State Credit Union Examination (NISCUE), and expanding scholarship opportunities for state examiners.
- Launching a cohesive and collaborative, member-focused engagement strategy and building nationwide trust in the NASCUS brand.
Having previously worked as the executive vice president and chief operations officer at the California and Nevada Credit Unions Leagues and as a vice president of the World Council of Credit Unions, Ito has spent her career championing the uniqueness of credit unions and bringing differing viewpoints to an objective table.
“The Board and Advisory Council would like to express its genuine gratitude for Lucy’s service to NASCUS. The organization would not be where it is today without Lucy’s thoughtful leadership, knowledge, and commitment. During her time at NASCUS, Lucy has been committed to providing outstanding service to our membership, and for that, we are sincerely grateful,” said Rose Conner, Chairperson of the Board of Directors. Mike Williams, Chairperson of the Credit Union Advisory Council, added, “We wish Lucy and Rob all the best and a happy, healthy retirement.”
In addition to her work at NASCUS, Ms. Ito currently serves on the International Credit Union Regulators’ Network (ICURN) Board of Directors and Steering Committee, the State Issues Committee of the American Association of Credit Union Leagues (AACUL), and the NCUA-SSA Joint Supervisory Working Group. She is honored to be participating in the African-American Credit Union Coalition’s Cross Cultural Exchange Program, a newly launched national pilot initiative.
“Working with both regulators and credit unions over my entire career has been tremendously fulfilling. It has been a true privilege to work alongside the very best in the industry and lead NASCUS over these past seven years. The Board of Directors and Credit Union Advisory Council have worked together in true collaboration and shown genuine confidence in me, for which I am forever thankful. I look forward to my retirement and wish NASCUS nothing but success moving forward. There is still so much for us to accomplish before the end of 2021!” said Ito.
The Board and Advisory Council have named a search committee and have retained D. Hilton Associates to conduct a nationwide search to find the next President & CEO.
For information about the executive search, please contact Jessica Jarman, Vice President, D. Hilton Associates, Inc., at 281-292-5088 (ext. 138) or Jessica@dhilton.com.