REGULATING AGENCY: Georgia Department of Banking and Finance
- Kevin Hagler, Deputy Commissioner for Supervision
- Steve Pleger, Senior Deputy Commissioner
- Website: dbf.georgia.gov/credit-unions
- Publications and Guidance
LEAGUE: League of Southeastern Credit Unions & Affiliates, Georgia Credit Union Association (GCUA)
- Patrick La Pine, Chief Executive Officer
- Jared Ross, President
- Website: lscu.coop
PRIVATE SHARE INSURANCE: No
STATS: (As of October 2021)
Total Number of Credit Unions: 92
- TOTAL # SCUs: 45
- TOTAL # FCUs: 47
- SCU % OF TOTAL (SCUS #/STATE TOTAL #): 49%
Total Assets: $33,752,644,870
- TOTAL $ SCU ASSETS: $29,618,867,079
- TOTAL $ FCU ASSETS: $4,133,777,791
- SCU % OF TOTAL ASSETS (SCUS $/STATE TOTAL $): 88%
Total Members: 2,237,574
- TOTAL Members SCUs: 1,876,027
- TOTAL Members FCUs: 361,547
- SCU % OF TOTAL (SCUS/STATE TOAL): 84%
FUN FACT: Gainesville, Georgia, often considered the poultry capital of the world, passed a 1961 law making it illegal to eat fried chicken with a fork.
Georgia’s Own Credit Union on Track to be the First Credit Union to Purchase a Bank in 2022
Named a Top Workplace of 2022, Atlanta-based Georgia’s Own Credit Union said Monday it will send to regulators a proposal to buy Smyrna, Georgia-based Vinings Bank in the first move by a credit union in 2022 to acquire a bank.
As the third-largest credit union in Georgia, the credit union stated it will “submit to regulatory agencies a proposal to acquire the $653 million-asset bank after the two organizations agreed upon financial terms, which were not disclosed.”
Click here to take a look at the stories that have been collected over the years in Georgia.
What’s new in your state?
Click here to submit your state-chartered credit union news stories to NASCUS today!